UNGODLY GOVERNMENT A WARNING AND OFFER
1. This is called a royal psalm or Messianic psalm because its theme is the coming of Christ.
The description is of such a nature that it cannot refer to a human king but to the coming of the Messiah.
2. It is divided into four stanzas of three verses each.
1-3 The rebellion of the nations against God.
4-6 God reveals their fate and the coming of the Messiah.
7-9 The proclamation of the Messiah's victory.
10-12 The invitation to be wise and serve the Lord.
I. THE REBELLION OF THE NATIONS AGAINST GOD. 2:1-3
A. The heathen rage: It is such a foolish thing to oppose God. The picture here is of the nations of earth in uncontrolled rage, as the waters of an ocean tossed wreckers in utter confusion and disorder in a storm. Like a mad man wildly bent on destroying blindly lunging at the one he hates.
In America the anti-god movement headed by the ACLU as a real agenda. Typical is web site “God is for S u c k er s.” “God is for S u c k e r s ! is a group blog, providing commentary, news, and rants on the evils and stupidity of belief in the big invisible daddy in the sky. Illuminating and watch dogging the widespread attempts to institutionalize the theocratic rule of the US, we also engage in making fun of believers everywhere.”
Gay - Lesbian agenda : “The agenda and vision that we must proudly articulate is that yes, indeed, we intend to change society.” (Matt Foreman, president of the National Gay & Lesbian Task Force, Nov. 10, Creating Change conference) Translation: “The real agenda and vision that we proudly articulate is that yes, indeed, we intend to remove, morals, decency, absolutes, truth, family values, the traditional God ordained family, God and Jesus Christ from our society.”
Politically correct agenda: To produce a totally humanistic society with our absolutes and morals.
- Removal of prayer from schools and public meetings.
- Turning our court system into a joke.
- Little or no punishment for criminals.
- Removal of the death penalty.
- Animal rights...same as humans
- Promoting the gay and lesbian agenda in our society and especially in our children.
- Same sex marriage.
- Making it illegal to mention God or Jesus Christ in public.
- Brain washing our colleges and universities and staffing them with God haters.
- Removing God from public education and replacing it with humanistic philosophy.
- Removing God from our society
- Promotion of all non Christian religions like Islam, Buddhism, and pagan religions
- The ultimate destruction of democracy and our Republic based on moral laws.
- Legalization of drugs- Marijuanna, alcohol,
B. The people imagine a vain thing? V1 Note this phase is a question. The word "imagine" means: devise. "vain" means: useless, worthless or of no value.
C. Verse 2, explains their useless action: "The kings of the earth have set themselves and their rulers take counsel together against the Lord and against his anointed."
1. They "set" means they with resolve, with malice
and determination against God. This is a deliberate act.
2. The sought other nations as well to join in a united effect to oppose God.
D. Verse 3, states the reason for their actions.
1. "Let us break their bands". V3 They wanted to be rid of any restraint against them doing as they pleased.
Their philosophy? The problem is in that God has given us laws and standards to live by, they hold us back and keep us from doing as we please.
Therefore, "let us cast away their cords". In other words "let us be free of any restraint!. Let is fling these restrictions away and then do as we please.
2. What they want to do is commit gross sin and live as they pleased without restriction. Is this not a picture of the world today? Example is abortion: They justify their actions by saying a woman should have the right to control her on body. The are pro-abortion, but they use the name pro-choice. There have been demonstrations of 1.5 million women in taking to the streets of the capitol, demanding the continued right to murder!
3. John 3:19 “And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.” (John 3:19-20)
It is the nature of carnal man to sin, yet he has a God given conscience and the Bible which defines sin and exposes it. The warped mind of a carnal man seeks freedom from the quilt of sin he feels.
So, knowing He cannot destroy God, he seeks to destroy God's Word which convicts and condemns his sin.
Since the garden of Eden, man has put himself at odds with God. God's purpose was to give us laws to live by that their would be order and peace. Man's sinful nature, however, wants no peace or order, and only seeks to gratify his evil lusts.
II. GOD REVEALS THEIR FATE AND THE COMING OF THE MESSIAH. Psalm 2:4-6
A. How totally foolish is a man who refuses to believe God or to allow God to counsel him!?
1. It reminds me of the ghettos of the big cities. Often the children are not taught discipline or right or wrong. They are wild totally unrulely and out of control. You can not reason with them, if fact you have no common ground to help them. The do not want help or change, because would restrict them.
Once a man sins and enjoys it, it hard to reach him or show him the destructive end of his path.
2. A man has no power to exist except God give it to him. This foolish man then opposes the One who gives him life. No man in any way can harm or even touch God. God laughs at him. V4
This does not means that God ridicules or takes pleasure in Lording over man, but it shows how futile are man's vain efforts.
3. The word for "Lord" here is "Adonai", referring to the sovereignty and absolute power of God. God in all His power and quiet dignity does not even bother to be challenged by the wicked.
B. Though for a time He only laughs, but there comes a time of judgement and setting thing right and in order. The wicked will be dealt with make no mistake. God is longsuffering and merciful (Ex. 34:6), and gives man ample opportunity to repent and trust God. But he will bring rebellion to an end!
C. Verse 6, Christ Jesus is King! He is absolute ruler and will not be deterred or hindered by man's efforts in any way. God's resolve: Jesus Christ will reign!!!
III. THE PROCLAMATION OF CHRIST'S COMING AND VICTORY! Psalm 2:7-9
A. John 5:26-27, "For as the Father hath life in himself; so hath he given to the Son to have life in himself; and hath given him authority to execute judgement also, because he is the Son of man."
1. Christ Jesus is to judge the world. Christ came into this world and became a man, God incarnate, in order to save man from destructive sin. Man can reject Christ's sacrifice, live his life in complete defiance of God, YET Christ's sacrifice will not go unreguarded forever.
All men will one day face Christ who died in their stead!
ILLUS: Think of how the New Media reports on the death of the celebrates who deny God and live sinful lives. You hear them say that person is in a better place. Folks that is not true. The unsaved wake up instantly in the fires of help as Jesus told us in Luke 16. “. . .the rich man also died, and was buried; And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments...” Luke 16:22b, 23a
2. All men will stand before God. "Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given Him a name which is above every name: That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven and things under the earth; and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father." Philippians 2:9-11
Note: The verse says "things in heaven" and "under the earth". It means the saved who will be in heaven and the lost who will be in hell under the earth (Hades). The saved will be judged at the Bema judgement (II Cor. 5:10) and the lost at the Great White Throne (Rev. 20:11-15)
B. Man's futile efforts have no effect on anything but his own judgement, for Christ will be victorious and sin and death will be destroyed.
“But every man in his own order: Christ the firstfruits; afterward they that are Christ's at his coming. Then cometh the end, when he shall have delivered up the kingdom to God, even the Father; when he shall have put down all rule and all authority and power. For he must reign, till he hath put all enemies under his feet. The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death.” (1 Corinthians 15:23-26)
IV. THE INVITATION TO BE WISE AND SERVE THE LORD. Psalm 2:10-12
A. Being wise means doing that which is best and in truth in your own best interests. It is for our own good to let God teach us.
2. I would like to fly and without the aid of an airplane! However, though I have the ability to conceive of such a thing it is an impossibility in my present state!! I am not a bird, not made like a bird, and I can not fly, period!
B. The very best thing a man can do is believe God, and revere Him (fear Him). A man must reckon with God or suffer the consequences of his error! (Psalm 2:10)
1. “Serve the Lord with fear and rejoice with trembling." (Psalm 2:11) What great benefit and joy in knowing the God who created you. What a overpowering reality to understand even in a small way His greatness and power! We are naturally afraid of things that are greater than we are or are beyond our control. Thus, we tremble at the greatness of God and rejoice that He loves us and is our caring Lord and friend!!!
2. How wonderful to be a part of God's plan, and to be included in His work of redeeming the lost! What a privilege to be "on God's team"!
C. "Kiss the Son". V12 To kiss is a sign of love. You do not kiss those you fear. You only kiss those with whom you have a close relationship.
1. The world refuses to admit to the existence of God. To do so would be to have to deal with Him. So they chose to ignore Him, or to change His truth into something more palatable and easier to conform to their sinful desires.
Some have done away with the truth of Hell, and even of Heaven. Some religions have done away with the need of salvation saying all men will be saved. Some in pride, refuse the free offer of grace without merit and try to justify themselves. The list of man's foolishness and folly are endless.
2. To deny God, is to perish. V12 To Deny God's Son, is to spend and eternity in the Lake of Fire. To shun God's free offer of forgiveness of sin is to spend and eternity in the gripe of the consequences of sin.
D. But that is not God’s desire. "Blessed are all they that put their trust in him"
The statement is complete and states the absolute truth. There is only true blessing in revering God.
“The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.” (2 Peter 3:9)
To sinning Israel God said, “Cast away from you all your transgressions, whereby ye have transgressed; and make you a new heart and a new spirit: for why will ye die, O house of Israel? For I have no pleasure in the death of him that dieth, saith the Lord GOD: wherefore turn yourselves, and live ye.” (Ezekiel 18:31-32)
1. It is in our own best interests to realize that God
made us and further that He loves His creation.
That's not hard to accept! Why would the Creator not
love His creation.
2. You see, the problem is not with God. Ignoring God
doesn't do away with the problem. The problem is that man is a sinner and the natural result of sin is death and destruction.
3. Wouldn't a man be smart to do what is best for himself?
Sin is a terrible thing! It not only destroys, it make the sinner think he is enjoying it. It blinds, the sinner to the point he is unaware of the effect it has on him.
It is like drugs, it gives pleasure to the flesh while destroying the mind and body. Some, hear the truth and even are inclined to believe to a point, yet they hold on to their sin, and refuse to let the Lord forgive them of it.
Some even know they will perish if they reject Christ, Yet the sinful nature they have, fights them in trying to keep them from coming to the Lord. Hebrew tell us that Moses “Choosing rather to suffer affliction with the people of God, than to enjoy the pleasures of sin for a season;” (Hebrews 11:25)
4. Sinner friend, Oh please, break the binding hold of sin
on your life and let God save you and set you free!!
It is always encouraging to receive email from those who find the messages helpful, or who have comments.