CAUTIONS OF FELLOWSHIP
1 John 4: 1-6
Cooper P Abrams III
2. The believer knows that God dwells in him by the Holy Spirit and he wants to follow the Word of God. John warns that the believer cannot trust every spirit, for even the spirit of Satan and of Antichrist can "profess" to be true to the word of God.
3. It is important that Christians be able to distinguish between the Spirit of God and the spirit of error, because these ministers of the devil can speak words that will lead many to believer that they truly are ministers of the Gospel.
4. Satan can quote more Scripture than most church members, and sad but so, most teachers of error know more about the Bible than many born again believers know.
The World of God however, gives us warning and instructions as to who we are to fellowship with.
John CALLS US TO CAUTION AND SCRUTINY ABOUT THE SPIRITS AND SPIRITUAL PROFESSORS THAT HAVE ARISEN.
2. Some truth is always the foundation of the counterfeits. There are those who abuse truth mixing it with error for their on grains or purposes which are not of God.
3. God has given us His written Word, whereby we can try the spirits. v
b. God is warning us that there are pretenders who claim to have the Spirit and speak for God who are not of the Lord.
2. Examine the claims that are laid to the Spirit. v
b. It is the Spirit of God that leads the true believer. The Spirit of God indwells the truly Born again Christian. It is the spirit that gives us discernment, understanding and the ability to apply the Word of God to our hearts and lives. c. Every false preacher or teachers claims to speak in the Spirit. Today, as no greater time in History men are claiming to possess divine power. d. God has given of His Spirit in these latter ages of the world (the age of the Church), but not to all who profess to have Him and follow Him. e. To all true believers is given the ability, by the Spirit, to discern the truth from the error and discretion in choosing whom to believer and follow by the Word of God. The reason given for this testing of the spirits is that there are many false prophets out there. If that was true in John's day, how much more so today? v
2. How quickly men can lose their sight of God! Give to any nation comparatively clear light on the nature and character and relations of God, and in a generation of two we shall find that the light is faded, and the image is blurred.
3. Men began to worship the sun as if it were the brightness of God. Then they thought of the nobler beasts of the earth as images of Him. Soon they made symbols of reptiles and creeping things, and at last sunk to making idols which expressed, in their forms and features, the vilest human passions.
4. But men have proved quite as ready to lose the truth about themselves. Indeed, if man will not keep the truth about God, they shall not keep the truth about anything else---at least about anything moral. How men sunk from the standard of humanity Paul has described in Romans 1.
5. Then God sent forth His Son, the ideal man, the perfect One, God himself, incarnate in man.
6. God made truth so simple. So simple even a little child could understand it. And yet, religious men, lost in their sins, rejected the Truth of God and believed a lie. 7. Folks if we could not know the Truth, then this verse has no meaning and God is toying with us.
God says, their are many false spirits gone out into the world. Sad to say, these false spirits have had great success.
b. No, that is not the meaning here. There are many historians and scholars who, who are unbelievers, who teach that Jesus Christ lived; but they do not believe in His Deity and His Incarnation.
c. Does it mean that if a person professes and teaches that Jesus Christ is God incarnate in Flesh He is to be believed without further question? Again the answer is NO.
2. You can not separate Christ from His Word, God is the Word. You can not believe in God and reject God's Word. You can not say "I believe in God, but I do not accept what God says."
The greatest threat to Truth today is not the money loving TV preachers and the cults. The greatest threat to Truth, comes from those who have it, who are indwell by the spirit of God, and yet, deny the Truth by the way they live their lives.
For many in this town the first sermon they will even hear is the sermon of your life. That's where Truth begins, that's when truth is shown and demonstrated.
The Greatest threat to Truth is a Worldly minded believer.
Fellowship with Christ gives us spiritual discernment.
2. So our Lord promised and assured His disciples (John. 14:16-17,23).
"Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world. (1 John 4:4)
True believers will not be misled for long!!! True believers will be tried, YES, they will be tempted, YES, but they will overcome.
"And when he putteth forth his own sheep, he goeth before them, and the sheep follow him: for they know his voice. And a stranger will they not follow, but will flee from him: for they know not the voice of strangers." (John 10:4-5)
2. That very moment he becomes partaker of Divine nature, possessor of the Holy Ghost, seated in the heaven lies in Christ Jesus, sealed with the Holy Spirit until the day of redemption.
3. In this verse we have assurance that the relationship between the believer and God guarantees victory.
There may be times when it seems that we are the only person in our community who is truly saved, and therefore we think we face the opposition of the enemy alone; but beloved, be not discouraged, for every believer together with God forms a majority over any crowd. Guaranteed victory is our based on His promise. C. THE UNBELIEVER ( Verses 4-6)
2. True believers are not led about by every wind of doctrine, they are not confounded and confused because they have the Holy Spirit, and He immediately recognized false doctrine and false teachers. He has the Holy Spirit indwelling him. 3. The masses have always gone after error, following the line of least resistance and going after things that are most spectacular and entertaining.
The world hears the false preacher because he preaches to please the world. He is of the world. The world will hear him but the believer will not.
Fellowship with Christ gives us spiritual discernment.
If you liked the message and would like to see sermons regularly posted to the Bible Truth Sermons Page would you let be know? I would like to hear from you. Please click the button below. Thanks